Professor of Materials Science
- The development of a mechanistic framework for selective catalytic syntheses promoted by oxygen on coinage metals (Au, Ag, and Cu) and their alloys. Our objective is to provide a basis for designing "green" chemical processes.
- Investigation of hybrid metal/metal oxide materials, including nanostructures, for chemical and photocatalysis. One aspect of this work is driving thermodynamically uphill reactions, such as CO2 reduction and water splitting.
- The study of new methods for controlled doping of semiconductor materials so as to modify their optical properties using femtosecond lasers and novel methods for introducing dopant precursors. Our objective is to create materials that efficiently harvest solar energy for photovoltaics and photoelectrochemistry. This work is part of a new Solar energy grant funded by NSF.
221. Cassandra G.F. Siler, Bingjun Xu, Robert J. Madix, C.M. Friend, "Role of Surface-Bound Intermediates in the Oxygen-Assisted Synthesis of Amides by Metallic Silver and Gold" J. Am Chem. Soc. 2012, 134 (30), 12604-12610 , DOI: 10.1021/ja303178z .
220. Stephen C. Jensen, Alex Shank, R.J. Madix, and C.M. Friend, "Butyrophenone on O-TiO2(110): One-Dimensional Motion in a Weakly Confined Potential Well", ACS Nano 2012, 6(4), 2925-2930, DOI: 10.1021/nn300949q.
219. Juan Carlos Rodriguez-Reyes, Cynthia M. Friend, Robert J. Madix, "Origin of the selectivity in the gold-mediated oxidation of benzyl alcohol." Surf. Sci. 2012, 606 15-16 1129-1134; DOI: 10.1016/j.susc.2012.03.013.
218. Bingjun Xu, R.J. Madix, and C.M. Friend, "Dual-Function of Alcohols in Gold-Mediated Selective Coupling of Amines and Alcohols", Chemistry—A European Journal, 2012, 18 (8), 2313-2318, DOI:10.1002/chem.201103232.
217. Kathryn Kosuda, Arne Wittstock, C. M. Friend and Marcus B├ñumer, "Oxygen-Mediated Coupling of Alcohols over Nanoporous Gold Catalysts at Ambient Pressures, Ang. Chemie Int. Ed. 2011, 51(7), 1698-1701, DOI: 10.1002/anie.201107178.
Chemistry and Chemical Biology